Monday, November 22, 2010

Words from a Child.

MY GIFT

 




Johnny Cash taking ten
acrylic paint on canvas by Robert Margetts


In lands long ago
I with fortune chose to look away.
To the thirsty, I poured my water onto the ground.
To the hungry, I nibbled till I exceeded my fill.
To the sad, I shared my joy with those who laughed until it hurt.

To the hemophiliacs that so desperately needed a transfusion,
 I could not donate a drop of my precious blood
to prolong the life of an innocent child.
To the cancer victim who would never know the
excitement of turning twenty
or walking down the aisle with a young bride,
I would not offer a scrap of my bone marrow.
To my only brother,
lying in a bed hooked to a dialysis machine
slowly withering away before the age of forty,
I darned not offer one kidney.

And to my wife
Who believed in me for so many years,
fought my battles, defended me to all her friends
and fell in total love for another man,
I could not give her the one gift that she wanted.
Her freedom from me!

No comments: