Monday, November 22, 2010

DOING TIME AT THE ZOO

DOING TIME AT THE ZOO




The moose next door
acrylic paint on canvas by Robert Margetts

I sit in my cage
and eat raw flesh from metallic bowls
twice a day
I return to the open holes

You pass the meat
and expect me to be happy
caged in an iron coffin
yet convicted of no crime
You pass my cage
as I do the time


He throws me a peanut
She tosses me a candy bar
It waves and taunts me
shouts and vents
disrespects  my existence
and expects me to be content

We are the ones who watch you go by
We are the ones who wait to die
We are the ones who hate you so
We are the ones who truly know
that you are the beast
trapped in your own mortality
begging forgiveness from some soiled priest

They come in droves
They drive their cars
They walk by our cages
throw morsels of genetically altered food
and throw our minds into horrific rages




Who is the animal

that traps my kind

Slaves to your world
 filled with hate
filled with utter fear
passing my prison but shedding not a  tear
to walk the corridors of iron that rust
and show sympathy and empathy
ironic gestures of trust

You enlightened creature
who fear my kind instinct
It is you who have been fleeced
It is you who are the beast.

No comments: